On Saturday, March 24, at 8.30 pm local time, millions across the globe will switch off their lights for one hour to celebrate our planet and take some time to reflect on how they can make a more positive impact on the environment. This is part of World Wildlife Fund (WWF’s) annual Earth Hour.
Turning off your lights and shutting down your computer this Saturday is just the beginning. Below, Greenbuild is sharing other changes can you make that will have a big impact on the environment.
- Treat yourself to a reusable bottle: Help to reduce the millions of tons of plastic that end up in our oceans and landfills every year.
- Changes in the kitchen: Try to consume less meat (a plant-based diet is good for your health and good for the planet). Plus, compost the refuge, purchase food in bulk (without buying foods in plastic packaging), utilize reusable bags, and stop sucking (aka, using plastic straws).
- Thank you Annalise from Twitter for this advice!
- Look into the light: LED bulbs are up to 10 times as efficient as traditional bulbs. Plus, solar panels are a great energy source to power your whole house.
- Use responsible palm oil: Approximately 50% of everyday goods contain palm oil, the production of which contributes to deforestation. Choose products that only use certified sustainable palm oil.
- Make sustainable investments: In both your personal and professional lives, look at the kind of companies you are supporting and investing in. We hope that as you support Greenbuild, that you’re also supporting other brands that are healthy, sustainable, or socially just.
- Thank you Lola from Twitter for this advice!
See it as a Twitter moment:Celebrate Earth Hour